www.flickr.com
raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset

Welcome to my Archived posts. Since Google won't let me export this to WordPress, you have my old posts. If you're looking for my current HRT blog, it's now official, I've moved to my new home. Please update your bookmarks: Blog site (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/) and RSS Feed (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/?feed=rss2)

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bus Stop in the Downtown Tunnel

Click for a larger version
See a problem here? According to Google, you CAN catch a bus IN the Downtown Tunnel. Circled is County & Court, the main transfer point in Portsmouth. Note the missing Bus Stop icon

4 comments:

maplestar said...

I know that from my fiancee's home in Virginia Beach, many times the Google transit map will tell me to take the 960 and then get off at the similarly non-existent stop at the Norfolk-VB border on 264 and transfer to another route on Newtown Road.

Michael Ragsdale said...

I'm aware of that City Line (NP) stop as well. Not sure why there's such stops. This was brought up two UCAC meetings ago and it still isn't fixed.

Anonymous said...

I suspect non-existent stops are so that, when routes are highlighted or displayed, the displayed route will somewhat follow the actual route since the google transit architecture may only put straight lines between bus stops. If this is the case, HRT can do little except ask google transit to fix it. Perhaps google transit can, instead of only having routes follow straight lines between bus stops, have an object that they can put at such points that is like a "route redirection" where it is clear the bus does not actually stop there (said object does not even have to be displayed to the user)

Michael Ragsdale said...

No, that's not the case. For example, planning a trip in my Dad's Seattle on Google Trip Planner will result in the actual travel of the bus instead of straight lines. This is something HRT can fix.