www.flickr.com
raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset

Welcome to my Archived posts. Since Google won't let me export this to WordPress, you have my old posts. If you're looking for my current HRT blog, it's now official, I've moved to my new home. Please update your bookmarks: Blog site (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/) and RSS Feed (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/?feed=rss2)

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Go Figure

I'm not surprised that several posters are attacking HRT and Virginia Beach over the new Gillig Lowfloor Hybrids that are replacing the antique trolleys. The only bus riders who are complaining are the riders who, like myself, are stranded after 7 PM and on Sundays (and we're wanting evening / Sunday service).

I think it's time to clean The House of No before the damage gets worse. Yes folks, (even you VBTA) it does cost money to do things.

As far as transit in Virginia Beach into the evening and Sundays, we're working on that. HRT President & CEO Michael Townes charged Henry Ryto and myself to lobby for mass transit dollars for Virginia Beach.

In the long range, I support these projects:
TRANSIT:
  • Expanded bus AND light rail service
  • A better organized fare structure for HRT (in the works according to HRT)
  • Transit to ORF (there's a plan in the works for the next General Assembly session)
  • Commuter Rail to Richmond (bi directional, see Trinity Railway Express, which is all day bi-directional commuter rail between Dallas and Ft. Worth, for ideas)
ROADS:
  • Tolling (I used to drive from Ocean View Station to Busch Gardens and I would've been more than happy to pay a toll to cross - this is also the reason I gladly paid $0.75 to use the Jordan since there wasn't much of a line even at rush hour)
  • Expanded HRBT (4 lanes per direction at minimum in the long run from U.S. 460/Wards Corner to U.S. 258)
  • The "4th" crossing, if there's demand for it
  • U.S. 460 between Suffolk & Petersburg
  • I-64 3 lanes from Newport News to Richmond

2 comments:

Avenging Archangel said...

I'm going to challenge conventional wisdom: enough NoVa and Hampton Roads Republican Delegates cross the aisle to pass a Transportation plan.

As for a couple of the statements made, does any Republican want to hand the Democrats the Transportation issue for the 2009 statewide elections? Not if you have a clue.

Anonymous said...

For the people attacking the new HRT Wave Buses...I think anybody who rode the trolleys agree that they needed to be replaced.