www.flickr.com
raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset

Welcome to my Archived posts. Since Google won't let me export this to WordPress, you have my old posts. If you're looking for my current HRT blog, it's now official, I've moved to my new home. Please update your bookmarks: Blog site (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/) and RSS Feed (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/?feed=rss2)

Friday, April 18, 2008

The VBTA

Apparently, someone who is from, or supports the ideas of, the Virginia Beach Taxpayers' Alliance is trolling both my blog and Avenging Archangel's blog. Sorry VBTA, but I actually enjoy riding the bus. Many sections of my book Rachel's Story were written while I was sitting on board a bus. I can't wait for The Tide to open so that I can breeze out of Downtown while people in their cars sit in the gridlock of City Hall Ave.

Too bad, but I'm not afraid of the VBTA. I will continue to push for expansion of mass transit that is reasonable (meaning no high priced SkyTrain - which is what Reid wants yet doesn't want to pay for since he won't stand for the tax increase required for such a system).

Please be sure to read Avenging Archangel's blog entry concerning this attack.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while. Keep up the good work and don't let Reid and the VBTA jerks scare you into silence.

- a fellow bus rider (I left a similar entry on Avenging Archangel)

Michael Ragsdale said...

Thanks for the compliment. Don't worry, I'm not afraid of Reid. I noticed your entry on Avenging Archangel and I will honor your request to remain anonymous outside of your name. Thanks very much.

Anonymous said...

Let's see here:

* Henry brainwashed you into using a bus
* You claim you write stories on the bus
* You're brainwashing someone into riding the bus yourself
* I've seen you with your wife, I guess her name is Jessica

Once you respect the VBTA and take this blog down, I'll leave you alone

Michael Ragsdale said...

Now that's going too far. Enough with your foolishness, whoever you are. This is not the place to get into such an intimate personal matter. I will start deleting your comments unless you knock it off.

I don't support the VBTA, but I'm not about to stoop to that lowness.

Avenging Archangel said...

Anon 7:10,

If you actually noted facts, this blog predates mine by about 5 months. Then, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the VBTA would want a blog taken down. The VBTA's Marxist mentality is that they are the residents, and that only they represent the residents.

There are many political stripes among residents. I myself am a pro-AAPAC futurist/urbanist. Michael simply wants to be a transit wonk and to avoid politics.

As for respecting the VBTA, I'll respect it again when it:

1. Starts putting forward constructive, realistic ideas for the future of Virginia Beach.

2. Embraces pluralism.

3. Dumps the nitwits from it's frontbench and replaces them with real conservatives rather than wingnuts.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Don't worry about the VBTA. They are composed of angry, ill-informed people, led by failed politicians.

On one hand, they scream for reducing residential real estate taxes and then turn around and oppose anything that might lure more businesses to our city.

Don't let Reid fool anyone...his demand for a "business case" for mass transit is just a diversion. Either he doesn't understand or doesn't care that virtually all transit systems in the world are taxpayer-subsidized.

It will be fun watching them lose, again, in November.

Michael Ragsdale said...

Thanks everyone. I look forward to a "brainwashing" session with Henry come Thursday when we discuss The MAX.

Anonymous said...

"Don't worry about the VBTA. They are composed of angry, ill-informed people, led by failed politicians."

Hardly "ill informed" - that's so wrong it is laughable.

Transit Zealots are free to advocate for their cause. It would be nicde if they were willing to actually PAY for what they want, instead of advocating for transit that is subsidized by taxpayers that are not using transit.

The VBTA is not attempting to 'scare" anyone.

We are advocates for better government and the wisest use of our precious tax funds.

As for "failed politicians", hum some of our board memebrs have been elected to serve as City Council members in Virginia Beach.

John Moss and Robert Dean.

Avenging Archangel said...

Reid,

Let me point out the obvious: neither Dean nor Moss has won a Council election since 1992.

The VBTA's agenda might have made sense had Virginia Beach made a sharp right a generation ago. In 2009, the VBTA agenda is akin to stocking the Sahara with fish.