www.flickr.com
raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset raggiesoft's Hampton Roads Transit photoset

Welcome to my Archived posts. Since Google won't let me export this to WordPress, you have my old posts. If you're looking for my current HRT blog, it's now official, I've moved to my new home. Please update your bookmarks: Blog site (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/) and RSS Feed (http://blog.raggiesoft.com/?feed=rss2)

Friday, April 11, 2008

Route 300 - A Review

I got to ride Route 300, the new Portsmouth Loop, and what a joy it was. The bus is amazing (see my Hybrid Bus post for more about the buses) and the route is wonderful. Portsmouth, you got something nice going (too bad it doesn't run on Sundays).

My thoughts:
  • If it turns out that there isn't enough ridership to warrant the Loop every 15 minutes at the Naval Hospital, why not alternate between Naval Hospital and Crawford Pkwy.
  • It's a wonderful idea going between County & Court and the Ferry Landing. Too bad you have to do the whole Loop to get from the Ferry Landing to County & Court.
  • $0.50 fare? That's reasonable. The bus will take ALL fare media (10 Rides, 30 Day, Transfers, etc). Too bad it doesn't give transfers. The operator around lunch time on Bus 4000 had an idea: Why not encode the transfer so that it'll tell the other fareboxes the passenger owes $1.00? Then again, since HRT will be dumping transfers come September (maybe the 300 not giving transfers is a good thing)
Route 300 has its own distinctive bus stop sign (sorry about the "bent look", it's my camera)
City of Portsmouth logo on the bus
This is the Downtown Loop
I can proudly say, it's environmentally friendly. This distinctive hump is the hybrid system
Another Loop logo

Effingham Street going Inbound from the Naval Hospital. The driver left her "300 NAVAL HOSPITAL" sign on. Going inbound, it'll say "300 COUNTY ST".
The destination sign. Yep, I'm being reflected in the image
There is room for two wheelchairs
The bus interior, looking back. All seats wrap around the sides. The only forward facing seats are in the very back.
Last but not least: those darned Odyssey Fareboxes; the same kind that are nit-picky about $1.00 bills

No comments: